Saturday 24 June 2017

When In ...

Adopting the adage of When in Rome do what the locals do or at least what one of the locals suggested whilst we were chatting over coffee. We had already done the cruises, Bowen and Dingo Bay and that left Montes  for lunch and Hideaway Bay.





Our holiday also coincided with the Whitsunday Show so a trip to Proserpine was needed. I haven't been to  ' the Show' for years but when in...


There were the usual events involving horses, livestock and dogs


The local concert band


The crafts pavillion with multiple categories 


This quilt was particularly eye catching


The Cooking section


This decorated cake reminded me  of my time teaching senior high school students.


Airlie Beach has a market every Saturday. In general not the sort of goods that interest me but always worth a look. This sand sculpture complete with flaming nostrils was generating a lot of interest. The first Saturday in town I spied a stall selling Hungarian snacks but had just had breakfast. The market was there again mid week for a cruise ship arriving in town but the Hungarian snacks were not. Always flexible, I had a toastie and hoped that the Hungarian Snack stall would be back.


It was and obviously well known as they were doing a brisk trade.


The big cheesy Langos with garlic and sour cream was delicious and because I had already walked my 10,000 steps and had another 3,000 to walk home I thought it would be OK to have a Chimney Cake, equally scrumptious.


Speaking of steps our apartment fronted onto an excellent boardwalk that allowed us to walk around the bay. It may have suffered during Cyclone Debbie as have many buildings and trees but the rebuilding work has largely taken place, trees are regenerating and public areas and gardens are all heavily mulched with the debris from the trees. 


The bougainvilleas have regenerated and provide a colourful display of hot pinks, reds and salmons, 


although, I really like this white one that is nestled amongst the rocks that edge the boardwalk.




I couldn't resist this photo opportunity on one of my walks into town. 


I spent a little time with the local quilting group that I discovered on my walk and who just happened to be having an outdoor meeting near the coffee shop I was heading to. They were all doing very interesting work including this style of appliqué called Tivaevae. The ladies had been on a tour to the Cook Islands and learnt it there.


And for our last night. A gentle walk along the boardwalk to the Abell Point Marina and Hemingway's for dinner. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

//