Sunday 11 September 2016

Muesli Cookies

Having had a few days away I needed to get back into the kitchen. I always enjoy baking and the biscuit jar was empty. We used to jokingly refer to these as health cookies because of the muesli. I no longer use muesli for these, although, a commercial muesli mix could be used. I prefer to make my own blend of oats, seeds, nuts and dried fruit. When I first made these cookies I simply stirred the muesli / oat combination into the mixture. Now I use a food processor to make the butter mixture and then add in the oats and whizz until the oats are coarsly ground. I remove the mixture from the processor and then stir in the remaining ingredients. If using commercial muesli use three cups, if making your own blend the combination of sultanas, seeds and nuts needs to be about two cups. Oat bran is used for rolling the cookies, however, some rolled oats ground up finely would work.




Muesli Cookies
250g butter, softened
1cup raw caster sugar or 1/2 cup caster and 1/2 cup brown sugar
1egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sultanas or combination of sultanas, cranberries, currants, chopped apricots 
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup almond slivers or roughly chopped hazelnuts
1 1/4 cups plain whole meal flour
1/2 cup oat bran (approximately)

Method
Cream butter and sugar, add egg, vanilla and baking powder and mix well. If using a food processor add the oats and whizz to grind. Place the mixture into a bowl.

Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Roll mixture into balls and then in the oat bran.

Place each cookie on a tray lined with baking parchment and flatten.

Bake at 170 deg C until pale golden brown

Cool on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//