Thursday 5 November 2015

Chicken Noodle Soup

In what seems a lifetime ago I had a job in a Chinese Restaurant. All very exciting for a sixteen year old school girl. The wait staff were trusted to make long soup, short soup and plain chicken soup. My favourite was the long soup and in the intervening years have continued to make a version of it. The base must be a good quality homemade chicken stock, simmered for several hours and made with chicken carcasses. The noodles are vermicelli either rice or mung bean which Need to be pre cooked for a few minutes in boiling water.


It is a light and delicious lunch, easily managed with some preparation. Get everything ready, pre cook the noodles, slice the spring onions and the stock must be strained. It needs to be boiling when it is poured over the noodles. I like to add a little sesame oil and some SriRacha or chilli sauce.

How to Make Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup


Place a little soy sauce and some spring onions in the bowl.


Add the hot pre cooked rice vermicelli. I cut the vermicelli into smaller lengths to make it easier to eat.


Pour the boiling stock over the noodles. The soy sauce disperse through the stock and the spring onions will start to float to the surface.


Float a few drops of sesame oil and some hot chilli / SriRacha sauce onto the surface.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kerri! I am a friend of Diana Glennie. I also worked in a Chinese restaurant when I was a teenager. This recipe brings back memories. Did you ever try Chinese sausage-a very savoury dried and fatty sausage, sort of like a pepperoni, but with an entirely different flavour. I will be making this recipe for sure. Valerie Maw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valerie, yes the Chinese sausage is delicious, still buy it. Here it is called Lup or Lap Cheong. We served it warm with a little soy and finely shredded spring onions. I am very grateful for my years in the restaurant, learnt many skills.

    ReplyDelete

//