Tuesday 25 August 2015

Cheesy Garlic Bread

 An impromptu dinner had me hunting through the freezer, fridge and pantry. I admit that I had a couple of hours notice and could have made a quick trip to the supermarket but it was a nice sunny afternoon and there was that novel that I wanted to finish.


The freezer had a couple of Turkish breads perfect for some garlic bread and then I thought - what's nicer than garlic bread? - Cheesy Garlic Bread. There was also a chorizo sausage, a few prawns and a container of leftover chicken casserole. Not enough of any one thing for the dinner but combined more than enough.

An Italian theme was beginning to emerge, hot sausage, prawns and some olives to go with the cheesy garlic bread and














The chicken casserole could become pasta sauce. I have written about using leftover casserole or stew here  It als makes a good  pie filling or a filling for a savoury crepe

Here is the casserole, with some grated zucchini and chopped up leftover vegetables added to make it go further. I also added a glug of sherry and let the sauce simmer for about thirty minutes.








All that I needed to do was toss in a packet of cooked fettucine and serve with lots of parmesan and a salad.



 Dessert was a version of this cake There were a lot of tangelos in the fruit bowl so I substituted three tangelos for the mandarins and baked it in a springform tin.

More tangelos in orange liqueur syrup to go with the cake. I make a simple syrup of 1 cup water or sherry and 1/2 cup sugar. Reduce it down and then add a tablespoon of orange liqueur. Pour the hot syrup over peeled and sliced tangelos, including the zest and leave for an hour or so.














Cheesy Garlic Bread

1 large breadstick/ rolls/Turkish bread/ sourdough loaf
2 tablespoons soft butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup grated strong or sharp tasty cheese
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

Method
Slice breadstick into 2 cm thick slices; I slice diagonally and all the way through as it is easier to serve if I do not have to pull the slices apart.
Beat all ingredients together. I use a food processer.
Spread onto sliced bread stick/ Turkish bread.

Wrap in foil and bake in a hot oven for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//