Wednesday 4 February 2015

Beetroot Relish

I have been experimenting with beetroot relish. My product research has had me purchasing a number of brands and testing. Sadly, there have been a few that never made it to the fridge. The one that I liked the most contained some orange.  I can't remember where I purhased it and unfortunately, the man of the house washed the jar and removed the label before I could write down the brand.


 This is my attempt at recreating the relish. Spices such as allspice, cloves, star anise, cardamon and ginger could be added.

 








I like to have it with a spread that is made from cream cheese, softened with a little mayonnaise and some crushed garlic. It is excellent on rye bread.

Beetroot Relish
1 kg grated beetroot
2 onions
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 cup balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon salt
Juice and zest of 2 oranges

Optional
Spices of choice


Method
Wash beetroot and peel.

Grate the beetroot, use a food processor if you have one.

Finely dice or mush the onions in a food processor.

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Simmer for 2 hours. Stir regularly. Add a little extra vinegar if necessary. The finished relish should be thick but still have some liquid.

Spoon beetroot relish into sterilised jars, seal with lids. I place a square of cellophane over the top of the jar and then place the lid on.

To sterilise jars
Place clean, dry jars in the oven and heat to 120 to 150 deg C for at least 10 minutes. Allow to cool in the oven.








1 comment:

//