Sunday 21 December 2014

Kerrie Christmas 9 - Plum Duff

This is the pudding that my mother made for Christmas. It is very easy to make and can be made on the day. It is not as rich or heavy as the traditional Christmas pudding. I still make it for my family Christmas get together - each year I am allocated dessert, including pudding and told mum's pudding not that other one! A little cream and custard and the nostalgia is complete.


It was always made in a cloth, however, it can be made in an oven bag instead.

Unwrapped and ready to eat.











This is the easy way to tie up a pudding.


Put the the cloth inside a a bowl or colander. I line the cloth with cling film or an oven bag opened out as it makes the cloth easy to clean afterwards. If you prefer a skin all you need to do is place the coth in boiling water and then lightly flour both sides.










Spoon in the pudding mixture





Gather up the cloth and tie with string











If I am using an oven bag I tie the corner so as to get a more rounded shape



Plum Duff

1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
1 ½ teaspoons bicarbonate soda
1 pkt Mixed Fruit (2 -3 cups)

1 cup sugar, I prefer dark brown
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon mixed spice
½ teaspoon nutmeg


Method
Put water and butter in a large saucepan, bring to boil and allow butter to melt.
Add bicarbonate of soda and then the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
Place in a floured cloth and tie up with string.
Steam the pudding over boiling water for 3 hours.

The pudding can be reheated in microwave.


No comments:

Post a Comment

//