Tuesday 8 July 2014

Caramel Bubble Slice.

This is the joy of a folder or book with recipes stuck into it - some make sense, some do not and others just get dragged out over and over. Years ago, I was given this recipe scribbled onto a scrap of paper as follows 3 m bars, 3 oz butter, 3 c rice b. with melt together. I used to make this recipe into patty papers as a type of grown ups chocolate crackles but it is much easier to make into a slice.

I have since been told that my slice was a bit like a Mars Bar Slice but richer and not as sweet. The version that I make has cocoa and vanilla added. I use the microwave to make this slice, however, prior to owning a microwave I used to melt everything in a saucepan on the stovetop.



The slice tin that I use is a little larger than most so the recipe has been increased to suit. Use the following proportions 1 Mars Bar, 30 g butter, I cup rice bubbles, 2 teaspoons of cocoa as a starting point and scale the recipe up accordingly. I use rice puffs that are labelled gluten free and have been told by my gluten intolerant friends that they have been able to eat this slice with no problems.

Caramel Bubble Slice

125 g butter
4 Mars Bars
2 tablespoons Dutch/dark cocoa
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups rice bubbles/puffs



Line a slice tin with baking paper.

Cut Mars Bars into small pieces, put into a large glass or microwave suitable bowl. Add butter and microwave on medium in I minute intervals until butter and Mars Bars have melted.

Stir in cocoa and vanilla, add rice bubbles and mix well.

Press into the slice tin and smooth. 

Pour chocolate topping over the slice and refrigerate for a few hours to allow to fully set.

Chocolate Topping

1 large block dark chocolate eg Club (180-220g)
60 grams butter

Melt chocolate and butter together in a glass or microwave safe bowl on medium in 1 minute intervals until melted.

1 comment:

  1. Yum looks amazing! Can't wait to try this myself!

    ReplyDelete

//