Friday 16 May 2014

Fish Tales

Fishy things have featured prominently this week.


This was delivered to my house by Helena, caught early in the morning by her cousin, kept chilled and baked the same evening - truly fresh salmon for dinner.


Lunch out with my buddies, Kris and Margaret - a belated celebration for my birthday. Splendid 'flat head tails' and chips before going to see Chef.

Here modelling one of my gifts, this most apt Apron for my collection. Thank you 'buds'.












These kataifi prawns are fantastic and make an excellent fingerfood, they are very easy to make, can be made in advance and cook in about 15 minutes in a hot oven. The recipe is on the back of the packet.











This is the product you need.





The pastry looks like this, tightly packed in but stringy when you grab a handful and open it out.



Stretch out a small pile of the pastry, dip the prawn in egg wash, lay it on the pastry and then roll it up.






Place prawns on tray , bake in a hot oven until pastry is golden brown and prawns have turned pink.


Eat as they are are or serve with a dipping sauce, commercial Tartare or make this easy version.







I use Thomy brand, however any good quality mayonnaise will work well. I have also made it with Kewpie brand.

Tartare Sauce

1 cup good quality mayonnase -
juice and rind of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon finely chopped capers
1 tablespoon finely chopped gherkins
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.



I also had the Tartare sauce with some rockling crumbed with Panko or Japanese breadcrumbs and baked in the oven

and made more Smoked Trout Pate for a pre dinner nibble when some froiends came over.







And while I am thinking of fish tales, these are the Artist Trading Cards that I received in a swap. The theme was Fish Scales. The one on the left is mine and the other four were swaps.












No comments:

Post a Comment

//