Monday 13 January 2014

Moroccan Braised Beef / Who Wants to Cook on a Really Hot Day?

 There are times when I just want to avoid cooking especially on days of 40 degree heat or when the weather forecast says that we are in for several hot days in a row. My solution is to cook in advance. I make a dish or two that can be kept in the fridge for 2 -3 days  and reheated in the microwave or on the stove top. This dish also freezes very well. Simply thaw and reheat. I use any type of stewing or braising meat such as gravy beef, whatever is the cheapest at the time. I also like to make it with lamb shanks which I get the butcher to cut into halves so that I have smaller chunks. I use more spice and chilli rather than less. You should use the amount you feel comfortable with. Ras el hanout is a spice mix that I purchase from a fruit and vegetable supplier, if you can't find it substitute with a Moroccan spice mix. Serve with couscous(see previous post) or rice, a side dish of cucumber, tomato and some finely chopped mint if you have it. A spoon of plain yoghurt will tame the heat if it is too spicy. I also like to serve some flat bread that I toast to mop up any sauce.


Moroccan Braised Beef (serves 4)
1 kg diced gravy beef or 4 lamb shanks cut into halves
2 onions, diced
4 or more cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
2 hot red chillies chopped finely or 1 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 - 2 tablespoons ras el hanout
1 -2 preserved lemons, skin only and rinsed
1/2 bunch coriander, chopped
1 large tin tomatoes
1 tablespoon honey
oil for browning the meat

Put a small amount of oil in the pan, heat. Add meat and brown.


Add onions, garlic, chilli, pepper, ras el hanout and mix well. Return to heat and cook for a minute.


Add tomatoes, coriander, honey and preserved lemon.


Cover pan and cook in the oven at 150 degrees Celsius  approximately 2 -3 hours until meat is tender, or simmer on stove top.


Check every now and then as you may need to add a little water if the liquid is evaporating too quickly.

1 comment:

  1. Looks brilliant Kerrie. Can't say with my boys there would be any leftovers to freeze.

    ReplyDelete

//