Sunday 26 January 2014

Australia Day Treat

Lucky me an invitation to an Australia day barbecue. It will be great opportunity to catch up with a large number of former colleagues, many that I have not seen since the last one. A great way to cater for a large number is to make it BYO meat and drinks, and either a salad or dessert to share. The host supplies bread, sauce, tea/coffee, crockery and cutlery.

The lamb chops are marinating, the dessert to share is made. For events like this I like to take a cake or something that is easy to serve. A single layer sponge cake is ideal. Made the night before so that the cream softens into the cake, spread with a thin layer of jam, this one has home made plum and a light dusting of icing sugar - perfection!

My mind then turned to something for the hosts. A little something to thank them for opening their home to the hordes. A batch of home made biscuits tied up in a cellophane bag make a great gift. Anzac biscuits seemed a good choice, although, as it is not Anzac Day some would not agree.


I have made Anzacs on a regular basis for as long as I can remember. As with most girls of my vintage, I did Home Economics in Form 2 (now Year 8) and the passion for baking has stayed with me. I was fortunate that my mother encouraged me to take over the baking in the house and have great memories of Sundays spent baking. Anzacs were almost a weekly offering, cheap to make, 50 or so to a batch and perfect for a large family.

Over the years I have taken the basic Anzac and adapted it with a variety of flavours. It is simple to add some additional ingredients to create  new biscuit or cookie. Today I made the mixture up as I would normally, baked half as Anzacs and then added white choc chips and cranberries to remaining mixture. White Choc, Cranberry and Oat Cookies are the result.

 Anzacs & White Choc, Cranberry and Oat Cookies.
I am frequently asked for my recipe (the original recipe was pre metric) and also asked how I get them flat and to spread evenly. The secret is not to have a too dry mixture, it is a little sticky. Spoon the mixture onto the tray and flatten or roll the mixture into balls and flatten with fingers.

Anzacs
125g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup flour
3/4 cup coconut

Put butter, golden syrup and water in a large saucepan and put on low heat to melt.
Add bicarb soda, the mixture should start to foam
Add sugar, oats, flour and coconut, mix well.
Place heaped teaspoons of mixture onto greased tray or use baking paper. Allow room to spread and flatten.
Bake 150 deg C for approx 15 minutes or until golden brown. If you like them chewy remove them a little sooner.
makes 50 small biscuits or less if you use bigger spoonfuls.

Variations
Whit choc, cranberry, add 1/2 cup white choc chips, 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Apricot, add 1 cup dried apricots cut into small dice
Sultana, add 1 cup sultanas
Ginger, add 1 cup chopped glace or ginger and maybe some ginger spice

As a guide add about 1 cup of additional ingredients to the mixture. Use whatever combinations you like.

How to
Put butter, golden syrup and water in a large saucepan and put on low heat to melt. 
Add bicarb soda, the mixture should start to foam

Place heaped teaspoons of mixture onto greased tray or use gladbake. Allow room to spread and flatten.
Bake 150 deg C for approx 15 minutes or until golden brown. If you like them chewy remove them a little sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//